Friday, February 4, 2011

Artist Spotlight: Bonobo

   Happy Friday everyone! Super excited it's finally the weekend, as I'm sure you are. So I thought I'd make it a great start to this awesome weekend by doing one of my all time favorite people/bands for today's edition of Artist Spotlight, Bonobo.

   So if you know me at all, I'm sure you've heard me talk about or play you something from Simon Green a.k.a. Bonobo. I've been listening to Bonobo for going on 8 years now, starting with his first album on Ninja Tune Records, Dial 'M' for Monkey. I was first introduced to his music when I bought the Ninja Tune DVD "ZenTV", which was 2 hours of music videos from Ninja Tune artists. I came across this beautiful tune called "Flutter", and I was immediately hooked. Check it out...

   A day after I watched this DVD, I went back down to Newbury Comics, to pick up "Dial 'M' for Monkey," and his previous album, "Animal Magic." I couldn't believe there was such incredibly amazing and intricate electronic music being made when I first heard this. The enchanting melodies, swelling basslines, and incorporation of live instruments blew me away. And to think this was all being done by one person! Too cool. But I'd have to wait another year for more Bonobo music...but it was well worth the wait.
   Fast forward to 2005, and Bonobo's release "Live Sessions." I picked this up thinking, "Well this will be fun. I wonder what kind of music he DJs?" To my surprise, he had brought some amazing musicians together, to create a beautiful live act. This 6 track CD, consisting of 4 live tracks, a remix, and a new original track, must have stayed on a constant loop on my iPod for at least two years. But as amazing as the live songs were, and as good as Four Tet remix was, it was his track "Recurring" that grabbed me, and to this day has never let go. 6 years later, it's still my favorite song, and most likely will always be. I hope you can see why...
  
   I can't readily describe to you what that song does to me, but it's something truly awe-inspiringly awesome. It's been there with me through laughter and tears...joy, sorrow and melancholy...times I will treasure forever and times I wish I could forget...and has always made me feel more connected to my surroundings and my environment, and to who I am, and who I'd like to be. It's taken me to many magical places over the years, and I'm so very in love with it, that I'm sure it will continue to do so until there is no physical way for me to listen to it again.
   Wow! I've never tried to explain my love for "Recurring" before...that was intense.
   Anyways, a short time after that, I did get to hear what Simon Green sounds like as a DJ, with his release of "Solid Steel Presents: It Came From the Sea." This hour long 20 track mix of mostly Ninja Tune artists, was very well spun, and has been entertaining guests at parties and events I've thrown/attended since it's 2005 release.

Click Here (<---YouTube channel w/ all 20 tracks from this mix)

   Two and a half years later, (while still listening to Recurring nonstop) I was very excited to hear that Bonobo had dropped a new album called, "Days to Come." This full length album of the "Bonobo band" featured a very talented singer by the name of Bajka. Though this was the first Bonobo tracks to have any lyrics to them, I quickly over came my apprehension, and grew to love this album in it's entirety. It's one of those albums for me, that you'd only skip a song, because you were so psyched about the next one. Here's the title track "Days to Come" from their DVD, Live @ Koko.
 
   Bonobo's latest album, "Black Sands" came out in late March of last year, and I was definitely first in line to pick up my copy. This release was a bit of a blending of old and new. Still had the band, added a new talented young singer named Andreya Triana, but on a few tracks got back to the older style of electronic beat production.
   If you've heard our Sophmore & Cadet mash-ups, you've probably heard most of Black Sands. Dave and I utilized almost all the tracks that didn't have Ms.Triana on them. If you haven't, then check out "Kiara" (minus Notorious B.I.G...)

   As you might imagine, it was my album of the year, 2010, and for damn good reason. There's not a single track on this album I don't completely love. Here's their music videos for "The Keeper," & "Eyesdown."


  In November, Dave and I went to see Bonobo perform at the Paradise Rock Club in Boston. Absolutely amazing show. Had such a good time that night. Here's a half decent picture I shot with the iphone...

But to give you a little bit more flavor of what it was like, check out this live video of the song, "Stay the Same." (one of my favorites off the album...)

   Bonobo's music has truly inspired me, brought me immense joy, and enriched my life over the years. His music has touched many, including my Dad, who passed away late last year. I got to introduce him to Bonobo years ago, and we shared this love of his music to the very end. Recurring was one of his favorite songs to put slideshows of his amazing photography to, and even at his "Celebration of Life" service, Bonobo was on in the back ground.
   I will always have incredibly strong emotional ties to his music, be it joyous occasions with friends and loved ones, or amazing memories of time with my father I can look back on fondly. It seems as if Bonobo is and will always be a major contributor to the soundtrack of my life.
   He'll be touring around Europe for the next few months, so if you're in the area, and get the chance, it'd be well worth it to go check it out. Also, if you happen to be in or around L.A. on March 24th, you can go see him spin, which I'm sure is amazing as well. Don't forget to check out all of him social media outlets:

Here <--- Official website
Here <--- YouTube channel (Ninja Tune)
Here <--- FaceBook page
Here <--- Twitter
Here <--- Myspace page

   Well I really hope you've enjoyed this feature, and I hope it shed some light onto my intense love of Bonobo. Have a great weekend everyone! Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment