Friday, January 14, 2011

Artist Spotlight: Data Romance

   Happy Friday! The weekend is almost here people! Just a few more hours to hold on. And in the mean time, I'd like to welcome you to another edition of Artist Spotlight. This week I'm featuring what's fast becoming one of my favorite bands out there. Data Romance.
   So who are these Data Romances? Data Romance is comprised of two members, Ajay Bhattacharyya, the beats, and Amy Kirkpatrick, the voice. There sound? To quote another fan of theirs,  "It's like 2-step and Trance got married and had two hot babies." To take that a step farther, one of the kids is a electronic music savant, and the other, has the voice of an angel. They both live and work in Vancouver, British Columbia.

   I originally came across Data Romance, known then as Names, a couple years back on thesixtyone.com, which is a wonderful site to find great new music of all genres. They only had, 3 tracks posted at the time, but as soon as I heard them, I was hooked, and I needed more. Their track La Da Da was one of the most gorgeous tracks I'd ever heard. Fast forward about a year, and I go back to thesixtyone to hear that beautiful track again, and low and behold, there was a new band in the place of Names. A quick search on youtube, and the net, led me to all the wonderful things they'd been doing in the past year.
   Last year, they worked with Stance Films to create the soundtrack to the movie Life Cycles, a movie about mountain biking, shot in over the top 10,080i HD. The visuals are so good looking in just the trailer alone, the BBC needs to hire these people. Data Romance's score of swelling orchestrals, and hard hitting industrials serves as the perfect backdrop. Here's the trailer:

   So if you happen to hear my chillstep mix earlier this week (if not click here) you'll probably recognize this first track of Data's. This is their absolutely beautiful cover of the christmas classic, Little Drummer Boy, which they did in just this one take I might add...check it.

  Awesome! Next up is their new single named, Bones. You can download the single in it's entirety (Bones + three remixes, and a few B-sides) on their site for the price of a tweet on Twitter, or a status update on Facebook. Don't have either of those? To quote them, "What's that like?" Anyway, here's Bones:

   For the last track of Data Romance, I'd like to share with you, the track that started it all for me. La Da Da. Still just as amazing as when I first heard it. Hope you love it too.

   Love, love, love Data Romance. Can't wait to see what's next for them. They're currently working on new material, and preparing for live stuff. Really hope they make their way to the east coast when they start touring. Anyways, you can pick up the Names album Paint from the iTunes store. While you're there, you can pick up the OST to Life Cycles by Data Romanace, and don't forget to get the Bones single on the website. Check them out on all their social media outlets below.

Here <-- Website
Here <-- YouTube channel
Here <-- Facebook
Here <-- Vimeo
Here <-- Myspace

Enjoy your weekend everyone! See you all on Monday!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Johnny! LOVE Data Romance (new to me)! Little Drummer Boy was AMAZING! Thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Little Drummer Boy was kind of sexual. It made me look over my shoulder to see if someone was watching me undress or something.......I kind of liked it. ;-)

    ReplyDelete