Thursday, January 6, 2011

Now Back to Our Regularly Scheduled Program...2010: Musical Year in Review

    Hey all. So this post is one of the main reasons that I wanted to start this blog. I was going to try and share this on facebook, but there would have been no way to fit all that I want to say onto my wall.
    So I thought it might be fun to do a rewind of this past year in music. So what follows is my top 20 favorite tracks & my top 10 favorite albums of 2010 (get it?!?). All the titles for the top 20 will be hyperlinks to the videos on youtube, and the album titles will be linked to where you can hear/purchase said albums.  Here goes:


Tracks:


#20 Far East Movement - Like a G6 - This track, with it's boom, boom, boom bass makes me want to drink, and dance...and drink.


#19 Mutt - Saturdays - Funky, soulful, liquid drum & bass, just as Mutt usually serves it up. Smooth, fresh, & oozing style.


#18 Netsky - I Can't Hold It - This Belgian producers first dubstep track (as far as I know.) Chill vocals, dope bass line, and a sick wobble, kept me dancing though 2010.


#17 Ruby Frost & Mt. Eden - Oh That I Had - Gorgeous new track from Mt. Eden. Ruby's vocals make this chillstep song haunting & exquisitely beautiful. 


#16 Noisia feat. Foreign Beggars - Shellshock - On the opposite end of the spectrum is this banga'! Heavy, dark, tech DnB. It's like, if metal, and UK rap, and drum & bass had a baby. Gives you the "stink face."


#15 Cragga - Please Mr. Postman (Dubstep refix) - This track is a perfect example of how electronic music can breath new life into awesome classics. Gave me a new found appreciation for the original too.


#14 Netsky - Secret Agent - I can't say enough about how awesome Netsky is. It's seems like every other amazing drum & bass track I've heard this past year was by him. Beautiful, fun, and danceable. Winning formula.


#13 Florence + The Machine - Cosmic Love - Truly lovely, extremely powerful tune. Exudes emotion in every note. Expect some sort of remix in the future from me. I only hope I can do the original justice.


#12 Chase & Status - End Status (VIP mix) - Beautiful, then heavy...and beautifully heavy. Chase & Status know them some drum & bass. Can't wait for their new album to drop in a few weeks.


#11 Bertie Blackman - Byrds of Prey (DC Breaks remix) - This track is what I think of when I think about dancing to drum & bass. So much fun. So much energy. So much better than the original.


#10 Friendly Fires - Kiss of Life (Coven remix) - Awesome piece of dubstep right here. Light but strong, clean but grimey, fun and energetic. A staple in all my DJ sets.


#9 Mt. Eden - Sierra Leone - One of the best dubstep tracks out there. Soulful & dark, but sweet at the same time. Mt. Eden is by far and away, one of the musical highlights of 2010.


#8 Queensway - Automatic Lover - Sensual, dreamy, minimal, blip&bass. Really nice track to unwind to  after a day of just about anything. Check out they're track "17 Again" if you can find it (that's my actual #8, the video just got taken down from youtube.)


#7 16bit - Jump! - Does exactly what it says on the box. Makes you Jump! Super fun dubstep track, that made me look like a raving lunatic in the car more than once. Some of the best use of bass...ever.

#6 Yeasayers - O.N.E. - Electronic, dance rock. Super unique, uber funky, and extreamly smile inducing. Rocked out to this one all year long. Great tune.


#5 BYOB vs J Majik & Wickaman - Save My Life - Uplifting, energetic, deep, amazing dubstep. With the right sound system, this track could start a dance party @ retirement home.


#4 Phonat - Set Me Free (High Rankin remix) - Inspiring, high energy, dance dub. The very unique beat and bass line to this track hits me like a tsunami of wonderfulness. Gets a smile out of me every time.


#3 Stare - Strings Attached (VIP mix) - This song makes me feel like the summer is never gone. Warm, soothing, liquid drum & bass from Estonia. One of my all time favorites.


#2 London Elektricity - Just One Second (Apex VIP remix) - Just when I thought I couldn't love "Just One Second" any more than I already do, Apex drops this sick VIP mix. This track brought new faith in drum & bass back into my life. Liquid at it's best. Completely in love.


#1 Nero - Innocence - This track....oh my god this track. This song defined my 2010. When I finally figure out Ableton to it's full potential, I aspire to make a dubstep track with even half this intensity, power, joy, life, energy, and/ or emotion. You blast this track...right now. Do it! 


Albums:


#10 Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More - UK folk-rock. (Little Lion Man, Winter Winds)




#9 Gorillaz - Plastic Beach - Animated eletro-hip hop (Welcome to the World of the Plastic Beach, White Flag)







#8 Girl Talk - All Day - Pop/ hip hop/ rock/ everything mash-up (That's Right, Triple Double)




#7 Cee Lo Green - The Lady Killer - Funky soul, hip-hop (Fuck You, Wildflower)




#6 Mark Ronson & the Business Intl - Record Collection - Futuristic 80s (Bang Bang Bang, Somebody to Love Me)




#5 The Roots - How I Got Over - Soulful, live hip-hop (Now of Never, How I Got Over)




#4 Mount Kimbie - Crooks & Lovers - Experimental, electro-glitch (Before I Move Off, Carbonated)




#3 Nas & Damian Marley - Distant Relatives - Hip-hop, reggae (Nah Mean, My Generation)




#2 Gold Panda - Lucky Shiner - Superbeat electronic dance (You, Same Dream China)




#1 Bonobo - Black Sands - Funky, hip-hop, soul, jazz (Kiara, Stay the Same)






I'm sure the second I post this I'll think of like 4 or 5 things I missed, but I'm pretty satisfied with this list. And that, ladies and gentlemen, wraps up 2010 for me...on to 2011, and much better things in all areas and aspects of life...and hopefully music too.


P&L,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment