Monday, January 10, 2011

Winter Chill(step) + What I used to make it...

   I hope this Monday is treating everyone well. I can't complain, cause I've just posted up my very first chillstep mix on soundcloud.com. It's just a quickie, just under 19 minutes, and only 7 tracks in total. Nothing really special, just a good track selection, and some fun with the cue points in Serato. I had lots of fun spinning it, and I was very happy considering this was my first try. Press record, spin & print! I wish I could do that every time.
   For those who don't know, chillstep, is as you might think, is a more relaxed version of dubstep (one of my favorite electronic sub-genres at the moment.) It usually consists of beautiful vocals, swelling bass lines, and a classic dubstep drum pattern.
   I hope you all enjoy it. Don't forget, you can download it for the low low price of FREE by clicking the down arrow on the soundcloud player.
Winter Chill(step) Mix (<-- click here)

So now I figured I'd do a quick pictorial run down of what I'm working with:
(The set-up)




















(Stanton STR8-100 Tables w/ Serato control records. Need new tables soon,  they keep randomly speeding up ever so slightly to ruin my mix. They're also almost 9 years old.)
















(Stanton RM-3s mixer, of which I'm DESPERATELY in need of an upgrade. Need a bad-ass 2 channel with a better fader.)




















(iBook G4 with Serato Scratch Live. Old school mac, Probably 2 or 3 operating systems behind. Upgrade in the works)




















(Rane Serato SL1 interface. What makes all the magic happen.)
















(Numark STERIO IO analog to digital interface. Makes the tables hook into the mac.)
















(iMac G5, running Ableton Live 8)














(Axiom 25, midi keyboard. Not used in the mix, but plays well with others, like Ableton.)
















That's all for today. I hope this week begins well for everyone. Check back soon!

P&L,
J

No comments:

Post a Comment