Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Music to Your Ears: Headphones

   Hey everyone! So this is an other semi-regular feature I'm calling, Music to Your Ears, where I'll be talking about one of the most crucial, yet over looked, parts of music. How these magical waves of sound travel into our ears. Today we'll be discussing cans, headsets, or stereophones. Most commonly known as headphones. But first, a very brief history lesson.
   The very first headphones, were believed to have been made by Nathaniel Baldwin. Handcrafted in his kitchen, he sold them to the US Navy as way to monitor audio signals before the invention of amplifiers. The first commercially used headphones were made by the Brandes company in 1919. Used widely in radio, these headphones offered zero comfort and had to attached to the users head with significant clamping force. In addition, they would often shock the user due, to the bare connections on the sides, and had terribly poor sound quality, because of it's construction of a moving iron driver and no sound dampening.
   But thankfully, in the past 90 years there has been significant progress in the field of sound technology. Imagine trying to jam out to your favorite tracks while rockin' a pair of Brandes? Yikes!
   Now a days, if you are in the market for a new set of "cans" you have literally hundreds of choices, in just about as many colors and flavors. Have a favorite hip-hop//rap/pop artist? They've probably got a pair out, or are currently working in collaboration with a sound company to make a pair.
   Another great thing, as with most "pro-sumer"products, they are whatever you'd like to spend on them. You have 50 bucks to drop on a new pair? Someone makes something decent. You have several hundred to spend? You can get a pair that feel like wearing cloud earmuffs, that sounds like angel whispers. But as with most things, more expensive, doesn't always mean better!
   So here's my quick little run down of the phones I've used,  have tried, and have heard good and bad things from:

(Sony MDR21blablablabla...)
($10ish)
   You know, you know 'em...you probably rocked a pair of these when they came with your walkman. They still sell these...but you know better. You just keep on walking, right? Your music and your ears will thank you later.

(Sony MDR-XD200)

($30)
   If looking for a good set of Sonys. Look no farther. For the money, these things are great. Big? Sure. Comfortable? Reasonably. But with good sound quality and a low price tag, these might be the one you could keep as your laptop phones.

(Panasonic RP-HTX7)
($50)
   These circumaural (around the ear) phones are what I'm rockin' at the moment. Very stylish, super comfortable, and not bad sound quality. It's missing some high end crispness and some bass, but that's the price you pay for fashion. And the phones don't swivel, so not the greatest for DJing. I still love 'em though.

 (Skullcandy G.I.)

($50-80)
   Skullcamdy is moving up in the world of sound. These G.I.s sound awesome, are very comfy over the ears, and come in half a million flavors. From denim, to brown stripe, to these slick black ones, you can definitely find one in your style. They also make them with a headset mic, so you can talk shit over X-Box 360. "You just got owned! And I heard it with crystal clarity!"


(Sennheiser PX 200-II)
($90)
  These supra-aural (on top of the ear) phones by Sennheiser have a nice very nice crisp sound to them. Really comfy on top of you head, but I've never been one for supra-aurals, as I'm not a fan of the pressure on my ears for a long period of time. Not as "deep" of a bass tone as I'd like either. Still good though. Quite functional.

(Bose AE2)

($140)
   Bose knows how to make some awesome sound. And the AE2s are no exception. Clarity is the name of the game here, and they're also really easy to wear for long periods of time. Not really made with the DJ in mind, but great for the listener who wants crisp sound. They're awesome, and they know it. 

(Skullcandy Pro Carbon)

($150)
   I have not tried these myself, but I've heard they are the beans! Great studio quality, made with and for DJs. Want a pair. And if/when I do, I'll probably never shut up about 'em.

(Beats Solo)

($180)
   When I tried these, I was honestly less than impressed. I almost feel like Dre, or Monster, or who ever, didn't want to make them close to the same level as the Beats Studio, so they "dumbed them down." I mean they're good...just not damn near $200 good.

(Beats Studio)

($300)
   The big brother of the Solos, the Studios are the real Dre headphones. Despite the $120 price jump, these one's are actually worth the money. Maybe not for listening to your iPod on your daily train ride in, (unless you're ballin' like that) but certainly for a long day in the studio recording your next multi-platinum selling album.

(Monster TRON T1)
($300)
   Another Pair of headphones from Monster, that I can only imagine sound amazing. And come on, who doesn't want to look like they stepped off the set of TRON, or are the missing third member of Daft Punk?

(AKG Q701 Quincy Jones Signature Series)

($400)
   Thtese headphones, co-produced by (or at least signed by) Mr. Quincy Jones are advertising a three dimensional sound. That, I'm very curious to actually hear, because isn't all sound 3D? At any rate, 400 bucks and you too can produce "We Are The World." Sign me up!

(Denon AH-A100)

($500)
   These 100th anniversary Denons mark quite an achievement. I do worry that the one review I read about these said they were lacking in quality in comparison to other pairs of Denons that cost up to $150 less. Maybe Denon's showing they're age?

(Sennheiser HD 800)
($1400)
   I've heard the quality is off...the...charts. It damn well better be for almost a grand and a half. I also hear they can be heard several rooms away. Yikes! So much for one of the big draws of over the ear headphones (privacy.)

   
   So I hope at the very least, this shows that (as with everything) spending more money, doesn't always mean better. Research is key people! Make sure with any big purchase, you're well informed, so you can get exactly what you want, and be the most happy with it for the the longest. 
   Next time on "Music to Your Ears" I'm doing earbuds. Stay tuned!
P&L,
J

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait for your issue on earbuds man. I will probably feel ill after hearing how much they cost. My Sony earbuds lasted about 8 years+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are you not enrolled in Berkley or something? You are very passionate and a good writer. Interesting tho...cause I remember saying to you that I like to do much research before buying a new phone or anything that's a lot of money....and you replied to me that you just buy and work with what you've got. Hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometime it becomes very hard to find a well written and well established bog which give you correct and useful information. However, I found this blog and got some relevant information which are really helpful for me.
    ลำโพง Edifier เก็บเงินปลายทาง

    ReplyDelete